Tuesday, January 26, 2010

To Buy or Not To Buy!

That truly is the question.

Whether tis noble or not, I must bequeath I know not! All I do know is buying a home is such a huge commitment. And say we are ready, then that brings on a whole slew of other questions such as Where, How Much, When? Unfortunately in this area we don't have a lot to choose from in our price range. We can go north and find a nice town home, or head south and find an actual home. Staying in this exact area doesn't seem possible unless we want an older home that needs a lot of work and I think we're both in agreement that that wont work. Unfortunately staying right here is our first preference in all other categories. Given the alternatives I'm leaning towards heading north, Shaun leads towards going south. Yikes! So many grown up decisions! Will we figure it out? I guess the good news is that we're not in a hurry. Our current landlords will keep us as long as we are willing to stay, but o' how I long for a home of my own! Actually, what I really long for are the days when my biggest choice was what I should eat for breakfast and which footie pajamas I should go for.

Well Shakespeare, any advice on this one?

8 comments:

Becca said...

If you guys have a budget worked out, then I say, "BUY, BUY, BUY!" This is a great time. Prices are pretty good, and you get the $8,000tax credit! Plus you'll have lots more space (for friends to come visit of course). How much more motivation do you need? :)

WrayLynn said...

It is said that God answers prayers in three ways.

Yes.
Not yet.
I have something better in store.

Quiet your emotions enough to hear the still small voice whispering one of the above.

WrayLynn said...

Hey Becky, it's John Paul. Please consider the bigger picture. As part of your homework, consider the following links, which show quite conclusively that we have another 2-3 years of SERIOUS drops housing prices on the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4rvKkDkj3w&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqbNO54SVDc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koNXa2mXzGA&feature=related

Sarah said...

Renting is ALWAYS cheaper than buying. Consider renting a house - if you aren't already - first.

WrayLynn said...

(this is really WrayLYnn now). My advice is to REALLY study this out. Figure out if you will be able to have enough for everything and for a savings to for home repais and such. Also, you said you would really like another child as well. If you depend on your income to make the house payments, then you need to research how much another baby in daycare will cost. I know around here that daycares will often charge more for newborns. I don't know why since they sleep more but anyways.

Just study things out and pray and I know you'll make the right decision for you. It is a completely awful feeling, though, knowing that your house is worth much less than you bought it for and you can't sell it if you need to. A lot of our friends are finding this out right now as they are done with school and need to sell their homes.

WrayLynn

West Family said...

I say head towards us! We would love to have you as neighbors :)
And housing prices here have been amazingly steady for the last 100 years. Have an adventure!

Anonymous said...

Move out here, and pray about it.:-) We bought when the market had peaked, but we still got a good deal at the time, but most importantly we knew we were supposed to be here. When you find where The lord wants you, you will know, it will just feel right. Don't pay attention to anything else but where The Lord wants you and your family.

Mr. and Mrs. Pike said...

good luck! no matter when it happens -- what a treat it will be after renting! it really is nice (at least in thought, since i don't know either!) to have space of your own. i dream about that day too.