Sunday, January 16, 2011

Winter Update

January, as always, has proven to be rather uneventful. That's never a bad thing. After a whirlwind of holiday festivities it's nice to get back into the ol' routine. Now by late February/early March I'm way over the winter routine but for now it's not too bad. Here's a little bit of the goings on in our home this past month.

* Shaun continues to wait for his clearance to come through. In the mean time, he has been enjoying working at a fabulous little Italian grill just down the road. He's well liked by the owners and getting worked most nights which has been good (mostly... I'm just getting ready for the evenings alone a little early I guess as his other job will most likely also be nights).

* I've lost five pounds so far this month. We'll hope to continue the downward trend on my 1500 calories/day plan.

* Ella is maturing and I'm able to reason with her more and more which is very helpful. Today during Sacrament we were telling her about Jesus and showing her pictures of Him with the children. She looked at Shaun and in a very concerned tone asked, "Where did Jesus go?" She then proceeded to call for him more loudly than we would have liked in the middle of the bread being passed. I thought how simple the perspective a child has, yet shouldn't we all be calling out for him like that. It was a very tender though slightly embarrassing moment.

* Amelia's little personality continues to develop. She is mellow and fun loving but not afraid to let you know what she needs. Her smile is infectious and her giggles and coos are about the cutest thing I've ever seen. I've been calling her my "Gerber Girl" as I think she rivals the baby on all the Gerber products. She had her four month check up and is hearty, happy and healthy!

* Shaun and I feel at peace about being here in the basement for one more year after Shaun starts his new job (any day now we hope). Taking on a perspective of gratitude has helped me appreciate what we have and realize we don't need to rush, not now that the girls are comfortably in their own little room and everything has a place. I was worried we'd feel cramped and crowded but really it's quite nice. Sure I look forward to a home of our own, but I think it's wise to wait and save as much as we can prior to buying. I don't think the market will be going up too soon (sorry for all of you homeowners, I know that doesn't work in your favor). And if Shaun will continue to work evenings it's nice to have the help of my parents occasionally so I'm not doing bedtime duty alone. I think Ella brings a lot of joy to my dad too. He has been struggling with some health problems and I think she takes his mind off of all things serious. Those two are two peas in a pod.

* An added bonus of staying put for one more year is that we can afford to take a couple of family vacations such as a trip to the beach or a trip out west to see family. Details are up in the air but it's exciting to think about and plan. You know me, give me something to plan and I'm a happy girl!

So that about sums it up. We hope everyone else is enjoying their 2011 and look forward to catching up with many of you in the near future.

3 comments:

Croslands said...

All of that was nice to read. You sound like you are in a good place and what a great thing to focus on this year. Gratitude. I think I'll join you. Thank you for the insight and inspiration.

WrayLynn said...

What job is Shaun waiting on? I loved Ella asking where Jesus is. That's so funny. Great job on losing weight! I'm really struggling lately but John Paul has lost close to 20 lbs in the past couple of months. I love your updates.

a little chat with pat said...

Love the updates, keep em coming. I am heartsick about Ken's condition and really hope he can control it some with diet and exercise. I appreciate so much your patience with Shaun's job and your situation. Dreams are what give us something to look forward to and reality makes us humble. We've all been down that road, it's part of life. I love your perspective. Kiss my girls, Mom C.