I was reading a fantastic article in this month's Ensign (this is a monthly church publication with wonderful lessons and talks) and found the following excerpt quite helpful:
"We may have to struggle to achieve our goals, but our struggles may yield as much growth as our learning. The strengths we develop in overcoming challenges will be with us in the eternities to come. The stuff of growth was never made of ease." (Dallin H. Oaks, Learning and Latter Day Saints).
For any of you who have been around the Calderwoods this year, it's probably been evident this has been a year of challenges. I know there are others facing more grave circumstances. Our struggles are more of just the day in day out variety: being new parents and trying to find the balance between loving our little girl, loving each other, and working hard. Everyone tells you how wonderful parenthood will be but no one really tells you how hard it will be also. I feel guilty for missing parts of myself I've had to give up. I'm not nearly as social as I used to be. I find after getting Ella to bed I mostly just want to relax. I feel in some ways that I'm less of a person than I used to be. I was always instigating social parties, planning things, traveling. These days I'm lucky if I've gotten a shower in. But actually, I am very grateful for the sacrifices parenthood has brought. I may not be all of the thing I was before, but I believe I am more now. I have found new strengths in working and caring for my family. I hope my husband knows how much I appreciate him for the sacrifices he makes too. I can see this family thing really helping both of us to grow. And the wonderful thing is that our goal we have set out to accomplish is just around the corner. Shaun will graduate this summer and all of that sacrifice will have been worth it. I'm not naive enough to think that once we're at that point it will all be over and done with. I know a whole new set of challenges will present themselves as we look towards employment opportunities, moving, expanding our family... but we will have completed this chapter, and that will be a very good feeling indeed.
Also, I have to do a little bragging on my little Miss. She has learned to say "Dada, Mama, Ball, and Hi." She says all of them in the correct context and is even learning "Jesus" when we read her "Jesus book" at night. But "Hi" is her absolute favorite. We went to the grocery store today and she waved hello and said hi to EVERYONE. And if they didn't notice or say hi back, she would gradually get louder and louder until they did notice. And once they did the biggest toothy smile would cover her face. She is absolutely amazing. I can definitely see her little personality and she is the sweetest, most loving, and SOCIAL baby! I'll post more photos soon. For now here's one of my more recent favorites.

2 comments:
Parenthood is challenging for sure! But you do what you are doing, you work at it until you conquor it! We are facing similar challenges.
Say HI to Ella from me! Peter says Momma and Dad BUT not sure if he is using them correctly. He also says something that sounds like "no" and 'yes', mostly it is just a bunch of loud sounds!
I can't believe Ella is talking!!! That is one of my challenges. Not getting to see you guys enough. Oh money, the pain in my side. Motherhood is one of the hardest things I have ever done, most of the time by myself. But Ashlee is my dearest friend and that makes it all worth it. Hang in there. It gets easier down the road.
Post a Comment