Thursday, July 9, 2009

Times and Seasons

My sister has five children ranging in age from 18 to 4.  She's lived in Texas for the past ten years roughly, so our visits only get to happen once or twice a year.  Despite her busy life as a mom with five children, we've always been able to enjoy quality visiting late at night after the kids went to sleep.  I was either single and able to hop a flight to see her for Christmas, or she would come in the summer with the fam and utilize her buddy passes (her husband works in the airline industry so up until last year we used buddy passes for lots of little trips). Just two and a half years ago Shaun and I went to visit them for Christmas and I remember many a late night visiting by the fire and eating m&m's (a Miller family tradition).  This year I think I had the same expectation of late night discussions about our life's dreams, the economy, McDonald's, and whatever else would come up; however, I was sorely disappointed when the reality of having a baby of my own meant I couldn't afford to do that anymore.  Although my sister and her family were here nearly three weeks, I think I've been able to visit more on the telephone than we were able to do in this visit.  It was a little difficult to accept, that at least for this time and season we can't have what we used to.  Her kids are bigger and staying up later, mine is so little and needs to be in bed early.  She naps in the day which meant I couldn't do a lot of the fun day trips with them that they planned (and even if we had gone Ella would have made life very difficult traveling to DC or doing a hike along the battlefield so we opted out), and of course work made it difficult also.  Yes, this is the time and season of being on a rather regimented schedule.  My life revolves around nap times and bed times, and my sister is just exiting that stage.  I'm not writing this because I'm mad about it, I really and truly have come to accept that this is what being a mom is and I'm okay with it.  I know twenty years down the road we'll do those late night talks by the fire again and we'll reflect on the memories we have and will make in between now and then.  I'm grateful for family, and I look forward to whatever future memories we will share together.  I thought it might be nice to record some of the fun things we were able to do while Michelle was here.  After all, this is for posterity:)

Michelle and her family did A LOT while they were here, and we joined in on some of the fun events: two bonfires in the backyard, two adventures at the park (Rady and Crockett), two movie nights after Ella was asleep ("Dan in Real Life" and that shopaholic movie... both super cute), two visits by the pool side at the Millers, three nights at the Carousel for ice cream, and one night of making tiny hamburgers to the Millers liking.  We also really enjoyed the 4th this year.  We started out with the ward pancake breakfast and spent the evening attending the festivities and fireworks at Great Meadows.  Totally worth $20 in my opinion to get in.  Ella cried through the whole fireworks show but I had expected that might be the case.  I held her in the car and comforted her but just knowing my family was right outside and so close by was nice.  We enjoyed our time with everyone that day (pictures soon to come-- they're on my mom's camera so I need to get them from her).  For now I'll post the photos I took on my camera which I'm sad to say is only a few.  

Thanks for a nice trip Michelle, Mike, and kids.  It's only been a day and we already miss you guys!

Ella and nana at the pancake breakfast on July 4th

Ella showing her 4th of July spirit with the american flag.

Michelle reading to Lacy and Ella before bedtime
Ella and Katie on the swing enjoying the bonfire!

2 comments:

WrayLynn said...

Looks like fun! I'm glad you were able to spend time with them. Sounds like you are adjusting well to the needs of Ella. It is hard, though, to adjust to not being able to spend the time you wanted with Michelle. That kind of stinks! But, you are right, twenty years down the road, things will be different. Actually, probably next year will be easier! Sorry we couldn't be there. The boys would've loved to visit with their cousins. And, I would've loved seeing you all.

mrwestsclass said...

Sounds like you guys are having a great summer! We miss you and are looking forward to seeing you when we get back. We feel your pain on the scheduled life style :) But their cute little faces sure make it easier to endure!