I was bound and determined to do something wonderful and different today but after deliberating last night Shaun and I had reached no conclusive decisions on where today's adventures would take us. As it turned out I had a small errand to run in Culpeper (I NEVER go to Culpeper or head in that general direction so this was not within the norm). On our way we kept seeing signs for James Madison's Montpelier, so after our errand and a quick lunch, we decided to visit the home of James and Dolly Madison. Oddly enough even after living here most of my life I'd never done this venture, maybe because up until 2004 the home was not restored to it's historic past. It had been owned by the DuPonts who had changed it quite dramatically both inside and out. But today, after five years of renovation and 25 million dollars, it is absolutely stunning! What a gorgeous day and what gorgeous views. Set at the base of the beautiful blue ridge, Shaun and I have decided the Madisons win when it comes to views from the founding fathers homes. We loved Mount Vernon set right on the Potomac, and who couldn't love Monticello set in pristine Charlottesville with Jefferson's clever architecture, but the Madisons home has recently been restored to it's original grandeur. It is a true masterpiece. We definitely want to go back again and come better prepared with walking shoes, strollers, and friends and family. Ella enjoyed the gardens, the hands on crafts tent, and many other activities. Shaun went around with her and allowed me to enjoy the house tour. Being impromptu we didn't have our camera but Shaun took a few photos with his phone. We hope to go back soon. Anyone want to join us?
Saturday, April 17, 2010
A beautiful day with the Madisons
I was bound and determined to do something wonderful and different today but after deliberating last night Shaun and I had reached no conclusive decisions on where today's adventures would take us. As it turned out I had a small errand to run in Culpeper (I NEVER go to Culpeper or head in that general direction so this was not within the norm). On our way we kept seeing signs for James Madison's Montpelier, so after our errand and a quick lunch, we decided to visit the home of James and Dolly Madison. Oddly enough even after living here most of my life I'd never done this venture, maybe because up until 2004 the home was not restored to it's historic past. It had been owned by the DuPonts who had changed it quite dramatically both inside and out. But today, after five years of renovation and 25 million dollars, it is absolutely stunning! What a gorgeous day and what gorgeous views. Set at the base of the beautiful blue ridge, Shaun and I have decided the Madisons win when it comes to views from the founding fathers homes. We loved Mount Vernon set right on the Potomac, and who couldn't love Monticello set in pristine Charlottesville with Jefferson's clever architecture, but the Madisons home has recently been restored to it's original grandeur. It is a true masterpiece. We definitely want to go back again and come better prepared with walking shoes, strollers, and friends and family. Ella enjoyed the gardens, the hands on crafts tent, and many other activities. Shaun went around with her and allowed me to enjoy the house tour. Being impromptu we didn't have our camera but Shaun took a few photos with his phone. We hope to go back soon. Anyone want to join us?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
We do! We do!
Sounds like you had a wonderful time. We can't wait to see the Calderwoods again- it's been too long!
Miss you guys, can't wait for May :)
You guys always have such fun adventures. Sounds like fun! Can't believe we never made it out there. We'll have to make a trip out of it on our next visit!
Post a Comment