Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas magic!


I've always loved Christmas Eve. You see, in my family growing up, that was when all the magic happened. We always would go out on a drive to see the beautiful lights on people's houses, the stars would be twinkling as I'd look out the backseat window. Occasionally we'd spot a flying object in the air and my parents would swear it was Santa and his reindeer, just leaving our home. We would arrive home with much anticipation for what may have transpired while we were out on our journey. And as luck would always have it, Santa had always come while we were gone (except for one time when we got home and caught him in the act (thanks to a good friend who was willing to play the role I later learned).

As I've gotten older Christmas has remained magical but for different reasons. I still could and do fall asleep in front of the Christmas tree some nights just to watch the lights twinkle and look at the ornaments, each holding a different memory. I still love being with old friends and family and enjoying the relationships that have been the most precious gifts I could receive. But I also have grown to have an appreciation for the humble birth of our Savior who makes it possible for those beautiful relationships to last beyond this lifetime. I try to imagine myself at his birth, heralding in the special occasion with the angels, the shepherds, or perhaps the wise men. I often ask myself what I might bring to the king of Kings, the Lord of Lords? What can I bring him now that would honor him? I feel it only fitting now as an adult that Christmas Eve be a time to honor Him, for our family to focus on HIS gift to us, the gift of His life, His Atonement, His resurrection, His love. And in return, I ask that our family reflect on what we can give back to Him. Maybe it's more of our time? Maybe it's a better effort at family prayer, more patience, less pride? Whatever small effort we can make to remember Him more and honorably stand as His witnesses. I love my Savior. I'm touched by many aspects of Christmas, but nothing more than the story of the Christ child. How grateful I am to ponder now on what gift I might give to Him this year. How grateful I am to ponder on what He means to me and what precious gift He continues to give me. What could be more magical? Christmas morning will still hold much excitement watching our two little girls open their gifts (well, Amelia is still a little too young I suppose but still), but Christmas Eve is His night. That's at least the tradition I hope to instill in our young family.

So to all who read this (and NEVER comment... sniffle, sniffle), Merry Christmas! May the peace that can only come through our Savior fill your hearts this Season and always.

With love,
The Calderwoods



2 comments:

a little chat with pat said...

Well said, daughter-in-law. I love the tradition of making Christmas Eve a celebration and remembrance of the Savior and his life/birth. Christmas Day is a whirlwind and there is nothing you can do to stop the excitment and fun, as it should be. We really felt this year with Carter gone and all you guys elsewhere, that Christmas is special because of children and spending it with family. It was more of a quiet day for all of us. That's OK too, it makes you appreciate when we ARE all together. For me personally, the celebration of "Christmas" with all the presents, baking, cards, decorations, etc. is one part and then the personal remembrance and worship of Jesus is an entirely different part. I have had to do that so I feel like He is a big part of it all and not just caught up in all the other, which sometimes can take over if we are not careful. Anyway....love you guys and as always miss you dearly.

kdbonacci said...

Merry Christmas! What a beautiful sentiment. I have to admitt that their has been little reflective time for me this Christmas season but there has been some. i cry every time I hear the song, "Little Drummer Boy". I hve to remember to give my best to him all year long. Christmas and New Years is such a great time to utilize the Atonement by reflecting and repenting. I love you my friend! Thank you for vaccuming for me today! It was the best birthday present ever!!!!