Wednesday, July 27, 2011

You say Goodbye, I say Hello

Thank you Beatles for inspiring me with this post!

July has also been a month of saying goodbye to some friends and welcoming others back. Shaun and I are sad to see two families we are very close to moving west. The Fords just adopted not one, but TWO baby boys within the last few months, and they are now starting a new job and new life in Utah. Our friends, The Wests, have moved away to begin law school in Arizona. We will miss both of these families and look forward to reunions in the future, hopefully not the too distant future.

Ella and Ellie have been good buddies ever since they spent their first Thanksgiving together. They've spent many a holiday together since.

See, here they are saying, "Don't ever let go." Okay, just kidding. They didn't go all Titanic on us. That would be weird.
I'm excited that other friends have moved back closer. My childhood best friend, Grace, has just come back "home" so to speak. We lived together in L.A. after graduating from college, and while I only stayed one short year and then returned home to VA to pursue my master's, Grace stayed on and lived the L.A. life. I visited her once and she would come back east to see family, but we were really only able to see each other once every couple of years. Now I'm thrilled she and her husband have decided to move here for work.

Another dear dear friend and her family just moved back from Jersey. I am so glad that they are close enough for us to meet in Charlottesville and do dinner, or like we did for the fourth, meet up and go to events together. Below is a picture of Ella and her son, Peter, at a cute little "living museum" outside of Staunton, VA. It was set up to resemble early America, a very fun and patriotic way to spend the fourth, especially with good company.


Still yet, I have another best friend whose husband is graduating from law school and they are relocating to Vegas. It's funny how life is sometimes. I feel like I have all of these friends coming and going, but they are moving forward one way or the other. I feel like our life is on pause. I know that's horrible. We should be living each day to its fullest regardless of our circumstances, but truly and honestly until Shaun's job comes through we are in a holding pattern. We can't really even think about moving, we can't make any plans. Some days I want to throw reason to the wind, quit my job, pack up the family, and move to Santa Fe, or anywhere for that matter. I want to be adventurous! I want to go somewhere I've never been. I've lived in this little town a long time, and while it's quaint, charming, and I love it (not to mention we have family, friends, a job, connections, etc.), sometimes I just want to know what life would be like for us if we picked up and moved to a place where we knew no one. Part of me feels like I'm missing out on something. Is that crazy?

So part of me is sad saying goodbye to so many friends, another part of me is joyous at the return of others, but all of me wants so badly for it to be OUR turn to move. I mean this both literally and figuratively I suppose. I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I know, there I go quoting Disney movies. I definitely need to get out more. But it's true. Whether that adventure is moving and getting into our own house, going on a cruise, or packing up and going to Santa Fe, I feel it in my bones! I guess wherever the road takes us I know I should follow the old cliche and bloom where I'm planted, enjoy the journey, yada, yada. But I'd be lying if I said I just don't want to have my own goodbyes and hellos to say.


No comments: