Monday, December 9, 2013

Girls Weekend: "Wanna Be Foodie Phillie Adventure."

In early November, I had the best visit with some of my favorite people.  My friend, Becca, just moved to Phillie with her husband and little boys so her husband could get his Master's at Wharton.  Fancy Shmancy!  We were glad to have Becca and Troy back on the east coast.  They were in Charlotte when Troy worked for Bank of America, but had been in Utah the past two years.  Katie and I took a little weekend adventure and drove up to see Becca.  Troy took the boys to his parents for the weekend, so it was a kid free amazing weekend!  Relaxing, full of good food and good visiting.  


We started our weekend at the Reading Market right in downtown.  We enjoyed some amazing crepes and took in all the sights, smells, and sounds of Reading.  I've never seen any place like it before.  For as many times as I've been to Phillie, this was a completely different type of visit.  We didn't do any of the historical sites, but I pretended to be a foodie for the weekend, so we'll call this our 
"Wanna Be Foodie Phillie Adventure." 
 Thanks to Becca who I consider quite the foodie, we got to smell and taste and visit places I may never have gone otherwise.


After Reading Market and grabbing some scrumptious hot cocoa, we walked back towards Becca's place.  That meant we got to walk through the park with the Love statue, and Logan Circle.  We also past the Capital, and though you can't see it all that well, it's behind Becca and Katie in the photo below.

After all that walking, we decided it was time for a pedicure.  


 We went back to Becca's to freshen up, and headed back out to explore the Italian Market District and find a yummy place to have dinner.

The Italian Market was filled with sights and smells.  We sampled cheeses and enjoyed seeing all the fresh produce.  We ended up eating a lovely Italian dinner at a place in the market that came recommended to us by some locals.  They're meatballs won for best meatballs ever on the food network.  It was family style, and it was great!




We spent the evening ... shopping!  It was so fun since I never get to stores anymore now that I have young children.  The idea of taking my girls into a mall or clothing store sounds about as appealing as poking my eyes out with a toothpick, so on-line shopping has been my friend.  But to shop... in the city... kid free... it was heavenly!  

The next morning we said our goodbyes to Becca, and Katie and I headed to The Parc, located right on Rittenhouse Square.  Becca told us Rittenhouse Square is the fancy shmancy place to live, and the Parc is THE place to eat.  Anybody who's anybody goes there.  Needless to say, Katie and I were not seated by a window (those seats are reserved for the people who know people).  But regardless of where we were seated, the food was amazing!  I mean, AMAZING!!!  Best brunch I've ever had.

We started with some hot chocolate.  Perfect!
 My cute friend that I just adore.  The world needs more Katie Boxers in it for sure.
 We ordered french toast, eggs Benedict, and quiche.  Don't judge us.  We couldn't decide.

And no regrets.  The food was phenominal.  
I've now decided Eggs Benedict with Hollandaise is my favorite way to have eggs, but maybe only if I'm eating there.  There's no way I could make mine taste as good.  Ahhh, just remembering it makes my tummy happy.

Are you salivating?  You should be.  If you knew how good this was you'd be drooling a little.

After filling our tummies with goodness, Katie and I headed back towards home.  We enjoyed visiting and the ride home and time went by too fast.  Sadly, our weekend had come to an end.  We are hoping to plan another girls weekend in the Spring.  Hopefully Kristin can join us then too, and we may even take the train over to New York and catch a play.  We're thinking Newsies!  Be jealous.  Be very, very jealous!

No comments: