Monday, December 29, 2014

Alex's Blessing Day and other adventures with Grandpa


 Grandpa C came out for Alex's blessing this weekend.  It was so wonderful to have him here.  He is such an easy going and helpful person.  He and Alex have similar dispositions, and they have the exact same eye color.  Here's Alex on his blessing day with Grandpa holding him.

Shaun gave a beautiful blessing.  My mom was able to write down some of the specific things he said, but I focused more on the spirit of it, and I truly felt that Alex is a precious spirit with a lot of love to give to others.  Shaun said something about him serving those in need, and I thought that was so very perfect since I've had that sense about him too.  I look forward to reading my mom's poem soon that she wrote after taking notes.  She does a beautiful job with poetry.



Those are three cute Earls right there!  I never thought I'd say it, but Earl is growing on me.  Okay, I still hate the actual name, but I love the legacy that goes with it.  Standing in the circle to bless Alex were six family members (seven with Shaun included), five were Calderwoods (my dad was the 6th), and four have the middle name Earl.  Pretty special!







After the blessing we had family to our home for a little Sunday brunch.  It was such a wonderful day spent with people that mean so much to us.  What a special day for our little Alex, even though he won't remember it (hence the photos, right?)

Both parents, although we were sad Pat couldn't come.  But having to choose for her to come now or right after he was born to help, I still think we made the right choice.  I just wish she could have come out twice.  Maybe next Spring or Summer?

 The whole East Coast Calderwood Clan
And our little family


While Grandpa was here we also did some other fun things.  We went to Gum Drop Square in Warrenton and the girls got to see Santa.  Here we are on the steps of Gum Drop Square, ready to go in to Santa's workshop!

We also just hung out around the house.  Grandpa fixed our lawnmower and whatever else he could find that was broken.  He helped Shaun put up a shelf in the laundry room, and he was just generally helpful, especially with holding and burping our little guy who needs lots of burping.

He played with the girls and enjoyed spending time with both of them.  He played cars with Amelia and let both of them hang on him... literally.

We also took one morning and went to I-HOP for brunch.  Grandpa even paid.  
This happy guy was sad to see his grandpa go, but not as sad as the rest of us.  Shaun and I only wish it could have been longer, but we're grateful for whatever time we get with his family.  Who knows, maybe next summer we'll go visit them (if we can afford four plane tickets).

No comments: